Landlord Tenant Law – What you don’t know may cost you

Did you know that an owner of a rental property that lives out of state must have an in-state statutory agent? Arizona Revised States Section 33-1902 requires an out-of-state landlord to have an in-state agent, which is not the same as a “property manager”. A statutory agent is a person or entity that accepts legal service on behalf of the out of state landlord. Failure to comply with this statute can result in a $1,000.00 fine, plus an additional $100 fine each month.

In addition to this requirement, a landlord is required to have certain information on file with the county assessor, including (1) name, address, contact information; 2) street number and parcel number of property; 3) year the rental property was built; and 4) whether the property is held by a business entity/trust, and its contact information.

Many people are unwilling to spend the time and money necessary to hire a lawyer up front to advise them of their rights, and review their documents. With the right lawyer, some situations can be prevented and expensive litigation can be avoided. It is important to have a lawyer who is familiar with both residential and commercial landlord-tenant issues.

I can hear some of you groan already, but the best legal advice you will ever receive is that which prevents legal problems and litigation.